Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Life's Little Triumphs: Something In My Purse Was Useful!

Laila experiences triumph in the form of an unguarded water glass on the table.

In a time of unusually high uncertainty and political tension, we could all use something positive to think about.  So, I thought I'd write about a minor triumph I had the other day!  If I find myself experiencing little triumphs with any frequency, maybe I can make them a regular feature of my blog.   Anyway, here goes...

Sometimes the drive from North Carolina to Maryland seems to call for junk food, especially of the sugary variety.  Our recent drive back after the holidays was no exception.  We stopped at a rest area, decided that Reese's Pieces looked like the best option, and bought a pack.  But then when we got back in the car, it would. Not. Open.

I was bemoaning our lack of implements of destruction in the car when Scott mentioned that if I could find his work ID in the glove compartment, it might have a pin attached to the back.  Then I remembered that I had safety pins in my purse!

On a certain level, I think I've always been concerned that I would experience a great catastrophe with nothing but my purse at my disposal.  In addition to the safety pins I carry in case of wardrobe malfunction, I have ibuprofen, band-aids, and even a few of my thyroid pills.  Why?  I don't know.  Every time I travel, I probably check my bags at least five times to be sure I have my thyroid medication, so it's somewhat unlikely that I'd end up away from home without it.  Needless to say, most of the time, the crapola useful stuff in my purse does nothing for me but help develop my shoulder muscles from lugging it around.  I'm not sure I have ever actually needed safety pins in all the time I have carried them around.

This time was different, though!  I took one of my safety pins and used it to poke a perforated line along one side of the Reese's Pieces package.  From there, I am happy to report, we were able to open the package and get our sugar fix.

It truly is the little things in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment