Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Winter Fashion, Ha!

Fun fact:  Astana is the second coldest capital in the world.  And it's been a bit chilly in Astana lately.  Most of last week, the temperatures were above zero fahrenheit, but they plunged starting on Friday.  I didn't have to be anywhere Friday through Sunday, so I stayed inside like a wimp.  I had to go to work starting on Monday, though, so I eventually had to brave the weather.  As long as it isn't too windy, I've found that I can layer enough clothing to make the walk to work bearable, if not exactly enjoyable.  Wind changes everything.  Anyway, as a sample, this is what I wore today:


  • Long-sleeved cotton top
  • Wool cardigan
  • Silk long johns (I've found that they keep my legs warmish outside, but aren't suffocatingly warm inside my office, which is always hot no matter what).
  • Corduroy pants
  • Thick socks
  • Very warm snow boots
  • Yaktrax!
  • Fleece scarf
  • Medium-weight jacket
  • Heavy knee-length coat (which I bought a size bigger than normal so I could wear things like the medium-weight jacket underneath).
  • Down-filled hat with fake fur trim
  • Fleece face mask
  • Thick gloves
Even with the gloves, my hands were kind of cold on the way in today, so I may swap the thick gloves out for thick mittens the next time it gets this cold (the powers that be claim that it will be slightly warmer tomorrow).  I wouldn't say my ensemble would win any points for style (or even for allowing people to easily recognize me with my hair and most of my face covered), but it's enabled me to get my wimpy, native North Carolinian self between my apartment and my office with a minimum of pain.  At a certain point in the winter, that might be all I can really ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment