Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

An interesting complication with any move is what to do with the food in the kitchen.  Our last couple of moves were domestic and not too far, so we were able to load up a cooler of stuff from the fridge.  Obviously, that won't fly this time.

I tend towards having what I would call a well-stocked kitchen, despite the obvious hazards of refrigerator musical chairs and random cold stuff falling on my feet when I open the freezer.  I like the security of being reasonably sure that I could put together some sort of meal with stuff on hand at any time.  However, for the past few months, the impending move to Kazakhstan has been in the back of my mind.  I've had to overcome my instincts and really think twice about stocking up on groceries just to have around.

We're actually doing pretty well on that front--some food will be given or thrown away, but it really won't be much.  It won't represent much money down the drain, either.  BUT...it came to my attention that I had baking chocolate and chocolate chips on hand.  It would be terrible to let chocolate go to waste.  So....totally unrelated to all the stress eating I've been doing lately, I made chocolate chip brownies this afternoon.  Less food waste, more energy for the endless packing....really, what else could I have done?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect solution to me! I've been guilty of the same.

    ReplyDelete