Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Sushi Burritos!

Not all that long ago--but pretty far away--I first had the idea to eat a sushi burrito.  I was walking through Almaty's Green Bazaar, and saw uncut sushi rolls for sale.  I was hungry, and they looked delicious, so I wanted to buy one and just eat it like a burrito.  I didn't, and to this day, I don't know if this was an amazing culinary opportunity missed or food poisoning safely avoided.  So imagine my excitement when I found out that sushi burritos were actually a "thing" here!

I read about a sushi burrito restaurant called Buredo in the Express newspaper, and knew I had to try it.  Scott was a good sport and went along with me on Saturday.  The line was out the door when we got there, and my heart sank, but they processed everyone very efficiently.  I could see when I got to the head of the line that someone in the back was preparing sheets of nori with a thin layer of rice which could then be filled with fish, veggies, etc.

The end product was a little different from the sushi burrito I almost ate in Kazakhstan--it was much thicker, like a regular burrito.  This was probably a good thing, since a regular uncut sushi roll probably wouldn't be enough for lunch.  And it was delicious.  Mine had plenty of salmon sashimi, which is one of my favorite things.

Buredo is far enough away from where I live and work that I doubt it'll become a regular haunt for me, but I'll certainly go back when I'm in the neighborhood.  It's not often that I get to make up for a meal that I failed to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment