Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Shark Tooth Necklace

Given the crumminess of the weather here, I think it's time for another beads and jewelry post!  I'm lucky to have hobbies that can be done inside.  I think these hobbies have kept me from going too stir crazy this winter.

When I was in North Carolina for the holidays, Scott, my parents, and I went to this fossil museum.  The museum itself is a nice little museum, and well worth a look if you happen to be in the area.  My favorite part, though is the fossil pile outside.  Periodically, someone brings gravel from a local phosphate mine.  Anybody who wants to can comb through the pile and take any fossils they find.

Despite some light rain, we decided to have a look.  I found a couple of nice shark teeth in the pile, one of which had a small point on each side, making it ideal for wire-wrapping.  I decided to make a necklace.

I confess that I resorted to using my shirt as a background for this photo, hence the sleeve dangling over the window sill.
First, I wire-wrapped the shark tooth.  It took several tries to get it how I wanted it.  Maybe I just need more practice wire-wrapping irregularly shaped objects.  Then, I made the five chain maille triangles out of jump rings.  I considered various designs, but thought that the triangles echoed the shape of the shark tooth.  I connected these triangles together using obsidian beads I purchased a few years ago.  It's hard to tell from my photo, but these beads have sort of a golden undertone.  It reminds me of the obsidian I saw when I studied in Mexico years ago.  Finally, I used a length of chain in the back of the necklace and attached a clasp.  On the whole, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  I'm considering shortening it slightly, but may leave it as it is.  The only problem is that one of my chain maille triangles keeps want to turn upside down while I wear it, but I don't know if anyone besides me notices that.

Aside from my beading endeavors, there isn't too much to say here.  I mostly stay in my building these days except for working or going out to restaurants.  We finally made it to a local Korean chicken restaurant that people have been raving about.  It had other types of food, too, but it seemed that the focus was on chicken.  Think of BW3's, except good.  :)  We also went out for Georgian food last night, which I always love.  I have no idea how typical this is, but this restaurant has a dish with thinly sliced eggplant wrapped around ground, spiced walnuts.  I'll need to learn how to make this, whenever I'm in a kitchen that has a functioning food processor again.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and staying warm!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Hannah! The geometric design of the necklace pairs well with the shark's tooth.

    ReplyDelete